Time Away from your #LifeAtPetSmart is essential. Discover all the ways you can take time away from work! The below information provides an overview of the different types of time off you may be eligible for. To learn more, review the Paid Time Off Policy located in the Policy and Procedure library on our internal Fetch site.
PetSmart observes six paid holidays per year. Full-time associates may be eligible for the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day – Sunday, January 1, 2023
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 29, 2023
- Independence Day – Tuesday, July 4, 2023
- Labor Day – Monday, September 4, 2023
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 23, 2023
- Christmas Day – Monday, December 25, 2023
- New Year’s Day – Monday, January 1, 2024
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 27, 2024
- Independence Day – Thursday, July 4, 2024
- Labor Day – Monday, September 2, 2024
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 28, 2024
- Christmas Day – Wednesday, December 25, 2024
If an associate works at the Phoenix Home Office and the holiday falls on Sunday, then the Phoenix Home Office is typically closed on the Monday following the actual holiday. If the holiday falls on Saturday, then the Phoenix Home Office is typically closed on the Friday prior to the holiday. This may vary based on department and work schedule.
Holiday Hours and Pay Policy
Company policy states that full-time hourly associates will receive eight hours of holiday pay if they work their scheduled shift prior to and after the holiday. All hourly associates who work on the holiday receive pay for that day at one and one-half times their hourly rate.
PetSmart provides most eligible regular full-time associates paid vacation based on length of continuous service and status.
Vacation time applies to all regular full-time and part-time associates (excluding Director level and above positions) in U.S. stores, U.S. Distribution Centers, and the Phoenix Home Office. Unless otherwise required by state law, by December 31st of each year, all full-time and part-time associates must have used their vacation hours or forfeit any unused hours.
Vacation time for all store and/or DC associates cannot be taken during the following periods:
- PetSmart holiday season blackout dates (specific dates communicated annually to store and DC associates).
- Two weeks prior to and one week after a store physical inventory (store associates).
Vacation time for all associates is subject to the following restrictions:
- Vacation time must be approved in advance by your leader.
- All associates can begin using vacation hours after completion of the 90-day introductory period. Vacation will be carried over into the following year for new associates hired between September and December. The time carried over must be used by March 31 of the following year. This only applies to an associate’s first year of hire.
- Vacation hours must be taken in full hour increments.
Part-time associates accrue .019231 vacation hours upon completion of each regular hour worked to a maximum of 40 hours each calendar year. Accrued vacation calculations will be made at the end of each work week. Part-time associates can only use vacation hours that have been accrued. Part-time associates may request to be paid their accrued vacation time while they are actively working. Unused vacation hours are not paid out at termination unless required by applicable law.
Accrued vacation allowed, time taken, and balances are available on the Paid Time Off page on HR Connect.
Accrual schedules for Full-Time Associates:
The below accrual schedule applies to full-time associates with the exception of Director level and above positions that follow the Flexible vacation policy.
|Level||Hours per Year||Accrual Rate|
|0 – 4 years of service|
|Hourly||80||1.5385 per week|
|Salaried grades 30–33, 52, 53, 100–106, 270–273||80||1.5385 per week|
|Salaried store leaders, salaried grades 34–38, 54–59, 107–117, 274–278||120||2.3077 per week|
|5 – 9 years of service|
|Hourly||120||2.3077 per week|
|Salaried (all grades)||120||2.3077 per week|
|10 – 14 years of service|
|Hourly||160||3.0767 per week|
|Salaried (all grades)||160||3.0767 per week|
|15+ years of service|
|Hourly||200||3.8462 per week|
|Salaried (all grades)||200||3.8462 per week|
PetSmart offers sick time pay to regular U.S. full-time associates. U.S. part-time associates are not eligible for sick time unless otherwise required by state or municipal law. PetSmart complies with the requirements for eligibility, paid time earned, and the use of paid sick time for these jurisdictions for full-time and part-time associates.
Most U.S. part-time associates are not eligible for sick time unless otherwise required by state or municipal law.
Part-time associates who work in a jurisdiction that requires the accrual of paid sick time will accrue sick time of one hour accrued for every 30 hours worked, with no maximum accrual. More information on the use of Paid Sick Time and the Paid Sick Time policy can be found on our internal Fetch site.
Accrued paid sick leave allowed, time taken, and balances are available on the Paid Time Off page on HR Connect.
Full-time hourly and salaried associates:
Full-time associates will accrue one hour of sick time for each 30 hours worked, with no maximum accrual per calendar year. Some locations may accumulate sick time on a different schedule based on state or municipal law and/or the location’s applicable policy.
- Associates can use accrued sick time for their own illness. Associates will also be able to use sick time for an ill family member as defined by the Paid Time Off Policy available on our internal Fetch site.
- Accrued paid sick leave can be carried over to the following year.
- Sick hours do not count toward hours worked for overtime purposes.
- Associates can request paid time away from work for routine, non-emergency medical appointments. Time must be taken in full-hour increments.
- Part-time associates are not eligible for sick pay unless required by state or municipal law. If a full-time associate changes status to part-time, any accrued sick hours are forfeited, unless required by law to remain.
- While on a leave of absence, associates do not accrue sick time.
- Sick hours are not paid out upon termination unless required by state or municipal law.
- Unacceptable patterns of sick time use, misuse, misrepresentation or a continuing high level of usage may result in corrective action up to and including termination.
Each year, PetSmart provides up to two discretionary days that give associates time off for any reason they choose. Discretionary days are provided to regular full-time associates, with the exception of Director level and above positions that follow the flexible vacation policy.
All U.S. full-time associates (hourly and salaried) will receive two discretionary days per calendar year if they are classified as active status on Jan. 1 of each year.
- Discretionary days not taken by Dec. 31 of each year will be forfeited.
- Discretionary days will not be paid at the time of termination of employment unless required by state law.
- Part-time associates are not eligible for discretionary days.
Associates newly hired or promoted to full-time status receive the following discretionary days:
- January through June = receive two discretionary days
- July through September = receive one discretionary day
- October through December = receive no (0) discretionary days
When possible, associates should request discretionary days in advance through their leader. Time for hourly associates should be entered in the time and attendance system. Salaried associates are responsible for submitting a request for discretionary time in HRConnect for their leader to approve.
Jury and Witness Duty
If a full-time or part-time hourly associate is called upon to serve on a jury or is subpoenaed to be a witness in a judicial proceeding, they are eligible to receive their normal pay for up to five days per year, unless state law requires otherwise. Most courts pay a fee to jurors and witnesses, but the amount is usually less than the associate would earn for a full day of work.
If an exempt associate serves on a jury or as a subpoenaed witness, PetSmart will pay the difference between the fee received and the associate’s pay at the base salary for each regularly scheduled work day falling within the associate’s jury or witness duty, for up to five days. Under some circumstances, salaried leaders must be paid for all jury time and should speak with his/her supervisor if called for jury or witness duty. If state law differs, state law will apply.
- This applies to all U.S. full-time and part-time regular associates.
- Exempt associates who are released early or have completed their jury or witness duty are expected to return to work each day that has one or more hours remaining in what would have been their regularly assigned shift.
- This does not pertain to any matters in which an associate is a party to the action.
To request jury and witness duty pay, you must partner with your leader to have time entered on your behalf.
Full-time associates who have completed 90 days of employment are eligible for up to three days of paid time off following the death of an eligible family member.
“Eligible family member” shall include an associate’s: (1) spouse/domestic partner, (2) children, (3) parents, (4) grandparents, (5) grandchildren, (6) siblings, (7) any individual related by blood or affinity whose close association with the worker is the equivalent of a family relationship, or (8) a person with whom an associate has shared for the preceding twelve (12) months a mutual residence and with whom an associate maintains a committed relationship.
Management may require associates to furnish satisfactory evidence to support the leave. In addition, all associates may use accrued paid sick time for the death of an eligible family member.
If circumstances demand that the associate takes additional time, PetSmart may grant an unpaid leave of absence after partnership with the Leave and Disability Accommodation team.
To request bereavement pay, you must partner with your leader to have time entered on your behalf.
There is no right or wrong way to grieve the death of a loved one. Navigating the grief process can be difficult, and that’s why we’re committed to helping families when they need us most. New York Life Group Benefit Solutions (NYL GBS) can help you through difficult times. Available to all associates.
If you’re ready, the Survivor Support Specialist is available between 9:00 am – 5:00 pm EST at (888) 842-4462, ext. 1013382