Time Away from your #LifeAtPetSmart is essential. Discover all the ways you can take time away from work! The below information provides an overview of the different types of time off you may be eligible for. To learn more, review the Paid Time Off Policy located in the Policy and Procedure library on our internal Fetch site.
Full-time associates receive holiday pay if they work their scheduled shift prior to and after the holiday in the week in which the holiday occurs. For most of these holidays, PetSmart stores are closed; anyone asked to work on a holiday when stores are closed will be paid all premium pay required under Puerto Rico law. An hourly associate who works on the holiday when the store is not closed receives pay for that day at their regular rate of pay. For questions regarding how a holiday may affect an associate’s schedule, please contact your direct manager.
PetSmart observes eight paid holidays per year. Full-time associates may be eligible for the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day – Sunday, January 1, 2023
- Three Kings Day/Epiphany – Friday, January 6, 2023
- Good Friday – Friday, April 7, 2023
- Easter Sunday – Sunday, April 9, 2023
- Mother’s Day – Sunday, May 14, 2023
- Father’s Day – Sunday, June 18, 2023
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 23, 2023
- Christmas Day – Monday, December 25, 2023
- New Year’s Day – Monday, January 1, 2024
- Three Kings Day/Epiphany – Saturday, January 6, 2024
- Good Friday – Friday, March 29, 2024
- Easter Sunday – Sunday, March 31, 2024
- Mother’s Day – Sunday, May 12, 2024
- Father’s Day – Sunday, June 16, 2024
- Thanksgiving Day – Thursday, November 28, 2024
- Christmas Day – Wednesday, December 25, 2024
PetSmart offers sick leave according to the Puerto Rico government mandate. After completing 90 days of employment, all associates working 115 hours per month are eligible for up to 12 days per year. Associates working more than 80 hours, but less than 115 hours in a month will accrue 4 hours of sick time per month.
- Associates can use accrued sick time for their own illness. In addition, associates will be able to use sick time a maximum of 48 hours per year for an ill family member as defined by our health plan.
- Accrued paid sick leave may be carried over year to year up to a maximum accrual of 120 hours.
- Sick hours do not count toward hours worked for overtime purposes.
- Sick pay for commissioned Salon and Pet Training associates is paid at the associate’s average hourly rate based on their regular pay, overtime and commissions paid.
- Associates may request paid time away from work for routine, non-emergency medical appointments. The time must be taken in full-hour increments.
- While on a leave of absence, associates do not accrue sick time.
- Sick hours are not paid out upon termination or converted to cash.
- Unacceptable patterns of sick time use, misuse, misrepresentation, or a continuing high level of usage may result in corrective action up to and including termination. PetSmart retains the right to request a medical note from an attending physician in cases where the company believes sick time is medically in doubt.
Jury & Witness Duty
Full-time and part-time hourly associates called upon to serve on a jury or subpoenaed to be a judicial witness are eligible to receive their normal pay for up to five days per year for the time they would have been regularly scheduled to work, unless Puerto Rico law requires otherwise.
If an exempt associate serves on a jury or as a judicial witness, PetSmart will pay the difference between the fee received and the associate’s base salary pay for up to five regularly scheduled workdays falling within the associate’s tour of jury or witness duty. Exempt associates who are released early or have completed their jury duty are expected to return to work each day that has one or more hours remaining in what would have been their regularly assigned shift.
Jury and Witness Duty does not pertain to any matters in which an associate is a party to the action.
Full-time associates who have completed 90 days of employment are eligible for up to three days of paid time off following the death of an immediate family member. Part-time associates are not eligible to receive bereavement pay but may be eligible to take time away.
Immediate family is defined as current spouse, mother, father, sister, brother, child (in-law), current mother-in-law, current father-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, or significant other. Leadership must approve bereavement leave for others not falling within this definition.
While on bereavement leave, associates are paid their regular daily rate. Pay for commissioned Salon and Pet Training associates is paid at the associate’s average hourly rate based on their regular pay, overtime and commissions paid and is calculated by HR Shared Services. Management may require associates to furnish satisfactory evidence to support the leave. If circumstances demand that the associate takes additional time, management may grant an unpaid leave of absence.
There is no right or wrong way to grieve the death of a loved one. Navigating the grief process can be difficult, and that’s why we’re committed to helping families when they need us most. New York Life Group Benefit Solutions (NYL GBS) can help you through difficult times. Available to all associates.
If you’re ready, the Survivor Support Specialist is available between 9:00 am – 5:00 pm EST at (888) 842-4462, ext. 1013382
PetSmart offers vacation time that is more generous than the Puerto Rico government mandate. All associates working 115 hours per month are eligible to accrue time at 1.25 days per month and can earn up to 15 days per year. Associates working more than 80 hours, but less than 115 hours in a month will accrue 4 hours of vacation time per month.
Associates begin to accrue vacation time on their hire date and cannot take the time until after 90 days of employment. Associates hired after the start of the year will accrue time on a prorated basis for the first partial year of employment.
Vacation time for all store and/or DC associates may not be taken during the following periods:
- PetSmart holiday season blackout dates (specific dates communicated annually to stores).
- Two weeks prior to and one week after a store physical inventory (store associates).
Beginning January 1, 2023: Associates that reach milestone anniversaries of 10- and 15-years will receive an additional 40 hours of vacation time.
- Associates that have been with PetSmart for 10 years or will have their 10-year anniversary in 2023 will receive a personalized letter (delivered by the store leadership team).
- The additional 40 hours of vacation time will be added to the Special Quota the first week of January 2023.
- The increase in additional hours of vacation time will carry with associates 10-14 years of service with the second 40-hour increase taking place at the associates 15-year anniversary
- Vacation time must be approved in advance by your manager.
- Vacation hours should be taken in full-hour increments.
- Associates have the ability to use their accrued vacation hours during the waiting period for short-term disability.
- Hourly associates must request time off through their manager, and the manager will enter the hours in the time and attendance system.
- Unused vacation will be carried over to the next year and must be used by Dec 31st or it will be paid out.
When an associate terminates, payment will be made for any accrued vacation hours less the hours already taken during the calendar year. Associates who terminate during the first 90 days of employment will not be paid vacation.